Saturday 27 November 2010

The Element of Air

My boyfriend’s mother a wonderful, intelligent lady posed an interesting question to me the other night as we talked about tarot. I said I’d happily teach her tarot in easy steps if she’d like. I started explaining some helpful fundamentals; how the suits relate to the elements.
So Pentacles or Discs relate to the element of Earth (so they're linked to practical matters, every day, mundane life, finances, cards of doing);
Cups relate to the element of Water (so they're linked to feelings, emotions, relationships); Wands relate to Fire (linked to energy, passion, creativity, inspiration, anger);
Swords relate to the element of Air (linked to the mind, rationale, logic, communication).
She asked why are ‘swords’ used to represent Air? I didn't know and thought that is a good question, balloons relate better to pictorially representing air;  swords are made from metal/
steel. She thought aloud and came up with some good theories about how the mind can be penetrating like a sword, as just one example but her quesiton has left me with the desire to research how the pictorial elements were chosen. I shall let you know my discoveries.

No comments:

Post a Comment