Saturday 27 November 2010

Experience Is The Best Teacher

If in doubt – don’t!

Sometimes it is preferable to politely decline reading somebody’s tarot, even having offered, if you feel it is unwise.

Many years ago, while visiting family in Israel less than a year into my experimentation with tarot one of my Aunt’s (who has since tragically passed away) asked if I could see how her pregnancy would be (it was for her first child).

Without hesitating, I picked some cards. Immediately it was obvious the spread was negative. I didn’t need to refer to my books to understand something was wrong. My heart sunk. I don’t remember the cards now, except The Empress Reversed (The Empress is the Mother card) and Strength upright, the only hopeful card in the spread. I lied, (I don't condone this behaviour now, more on this subject in another blog) but I couldn't say it looked bad, especially as I was a novice and couldn't explain the other cards. So I said the Strength card shows she will have great strength and courage; although it may not be an easy pregnancy everything will be fine. I apologized saying I didn’t understand the other cards. My Aunt’s English was minimal so it was left at that.

Time passed. Months later, the good news arrived that my aunt had a healthy baby boy, no problems. The relief was immense. Until I learnt trouble with breast feeding led to investigations that found cancerous tumors blocking her milk ducts, believed to have developed during pregnancy. Of course, the reading returned to me. That early experience taught me lots.

Medical Matters

At that moment of reading my Aunt's cards I decided I wouldn’t answer medical questions anymore. I do now, years later although like most tarot readers I prefer not to look at medical matters, as I am not a doctor. Of course, even when I tell clients this, they still ask me to have a look. I explain I’m happy to see if the cards suggest anything, but regardless of the tarot it is always advisable to seek professional medical advice/have tests etc if one has any health concerns. I say even if everything looks okay to me, and is nothing serious, get yourself checked out, even for peace of mind!

Anyway, experience has taught me to give careful consideration when asked to look at certain matters and to word the question carefully. Still to this day I associate the Empress reversed with blockages. Several months later during a part time job at a local newspaper a colleague ‘tested’ the cards when she learnt I read tarot, asking what’s going on with her house. I said the pipes are blocked,from a combination of cards including the Star reversed (Aquarius Water bearer) with the Empress reversed. She was amazed as this was correct.

No comments:

Post a Comment